Creating a logo for your BigCommerce store should be an exciting activity. This is your opportunity to brand your online business in the way you want it to be.
If you understand your target markets needs, and if you spend some time approaching the logo design process in the right way, you should be able to create a logo that speaks directly to them. This is really powerful.
For starters you’ll freak your customers out, as they’ll think you’re getting in their heads. The second is that they’ll feel connected with you and become more inclined to be part of your BigCommerce store / community.
Of course your Ecommerce store doesn’t need to be on the BigCommerce platform – but because I love the damn thing so much – that’s the reason why I’m mentioning that… But you knew that already.
A few years ago Pepsi hired a company called the Arnell Group to create a new look logo. As just like almost every other company out there is the new who’s creating a new logo – it looks like another logo influenced by the iPod-ization revolution.
And how much did they pay for this logo? Only a million dollars. No biggy.
How will this directly influence sales, brand loyalty and/or customer satisfaction? You would hope a lot wouldn’t you? When Pepsi release their figures I’ll follow this up with another post.
OK, the thing is – do you need to spend a million dollars to get a good logo? I’m sure you know the answer is a big fat no.
In this post I’m going to walk you through some ways in which you can go about getting a logo designed. But before that, there is a checklist that all must take on before beginning your logo creation adventure.
Checklist For The Creation of Logo Design
This checklist is not just for you. By answering these questions you should be able to give the designer of your logo a very good understanding of what you would like.
The below checklist is a simplified version from 20 Questions To Ask Clients Prior To Designing A Logo from The Design Cubicle. My version has just 9 questions in the checklist.
- What do you want your new logo to accomplish
- Who are your main competitors?
- How are you different from your competitors?
- What are the demographics of your target market?
- Do you have specific imagery in mind?
- Do you have specific colors to use?
- What adjectives best describe your logo?
- What logo appeal to you at why?
- What is you budget?
There you have it. So before you pay someone a million dollars (or a little bit less) to make you a logo, it’s best you answer these questions.
Once you know what type of logo you would like to build, the next step is to look at ways in which you can build it – there are many.
Making Your Own Logo
One piece of advice… Don’t do it yourself! If you’re background is not in design, and if you’ve never heard of programs like Adobe Illustrator or Logo Maker – then it’s best you not try attempt to make a logo on your lonesome.
The reason why I feel strongly about this is because I am one who has attempted to build logos on my own. I would say that I have average design skills and average program skills in such things as Adobe Illustrator or Logo Maker.
Now with average design and average program skills – the very best I can hope for is an average logo. Will average do? I don’t think so – and you shouldn’t think so either.
But OK I have made my case here that this is not the best approach that I’d take. However if you would like to build your own logo yourself here is what you need to do:
- Go through the checklist and answer the questions about your business, product and logo the best you can
- Buy a logo design software such as Adobe Illustrator CS5 or Logo Maker
- Learn how to use the software through Adobe or Logo Maker resources, through websites found on Google and Youtube
- Learn about guidelines for developing logos through websites found on Google or Youtube
- Start to make your logo
Doing this yourself will save you a bunch of money – but at the cost of your time. A lot of time. You could spend days coming up with a logo like I did – Hopefully you’ll have better results than just average.
For those that want to use Logo Maker, you can get it for a sweet price of $19
Getting a Friend or Friends Friend to Make You One
Be-careful if you decide to take the approach of getting a friend, or a friend of a friend to create you a logo. I’ve been in this situation before – and I’m afraid things to turn sour very quickly.
There is a right way to approach this that can work quite well but it does mean you will need to follow a particular process.
Before getting into the process, I just want to mention again that this can work quite well because of three reasons.
- It should be much cheaper going down this path than through the others way to come below
- The person who has accepted to make you a logo usually (or you would hope so) will have logo design experience
- You will be able to have more of a general chat about the logo, and take more time in doing the revision of it
I don’t think I need to sell you anymore on this. If you have a friend, or a friend of a friend who knows his/her stuff in creating logos – then you owe it to yourself to pop the question to them. Here is how it’s done.
- You want to gauge the person’s experience. If they have a portfolio, take a look at it
- You need to ask them to create you a logo based on your brief (the checklist that you’ve already completed by now)
- You want to make it clear that they are one of many people you have approached and you want to pay for their time in making the logo. No excuses or no backing down from this. You need to get the message clear that you are getting them to make you a logo, AND a few other people are doing the same thing
- You need to tell them that you will pick the design that will best suit your BigCommerce store
Why are you taking the steps above like that? Well, when I got a friend to make me a logo, it didn’t turn out the best but I felt guilty in saying that because of the time and effort that was put into it.
So I reluctantly used the logo for a week, until I changed my store theme a little and had a new logo created to suit. I came back to my friend with some money for his effort.
By taking the steps above, you should be able to avoid the situation I found myself in.
Using Logoworks or The Logo Company
These two companies are just like going to your local graphic design company and asking them to build you a logo with one exception – these guys make 100′s of them each and every day.
The more practice in making logos the better you would be right? If you are one that believes that repetition is the mother of skill than you will put your faith behind either Logoworks or The Logo Company.
I have mentioned both of companies because they’re equally as good, and both equally as popular. If you type is some generic term in Google like “create logo design” you’ll find these two guys right up there.
With the quality comes a hefty price tag. Logoworks will charge you $299 for theirs and $149 for a logo by The Logo Company. Not the most expensive approach, but certainly not the cheapest either.
So if you want to go down the path of getting your logo designed with either Logoworks or The Logo Company – here are the steps to take.
- First of all both of these companies will ask you to fill out a design questionnaire about your logo
- You will need to make your payment in full before they begin their work
- You will receive the initial logo designs, from here you will be able to suggest any revisions you think is necessary
- One all revisions are done, they will send you the finished logo in many different formats
This is an easy and stress-free way of building a logo. It is also the most popular method that people who are starting a BigCommerce Store use.
Using CrowdSpring or Logo Design Guru
Websites like CrowdSpring and Logo Design Guru offer you an innovative way of creating a logo. The idea is to have talented people compete for your money by creating the best logo they can.
Truth be told, I’ve never used this service. All the rest of the other ways I know well, but this is one that I don’t.
The reason why I’m mentioning it though is because I’ve heard a lot about it and I’ve been impressed with the results of others.
One of the reasons why I haven’t used this approach yet is because it is the most expensive way. But if you have the money I can guarantee that you will get a world-class logo.
Already companies like Tivo, Starbucks, LG and Forbes have used their service.
The steps to take if you want to go down the highly expensive / high quality approach is
- Write a brief about what you want
- Set a prize money – the more money the more people who will be motivated to spend time competing for your money
- People out there who have what it takes will send you their creative design
- Choose your favorite and pay the winner his/her prize money
Take a look around both sites and get a feel for the quality of work. You’ll quickly see that these guys can be in a league of their own. If you have the money or if you can set aside the budget, you should pay some serious consideration here.
I’m a big fan of outsourcing work.
I do it all the time, and one thing that I’ve done time and time again has been to use oDesk to outsource things from writing content, to marketing, to building a complete website to (of course) creating a logo.
This works in a similar way to how CrowdSpring and Logo Design Guru works. But with one major difference. You actually have to pick one person to work with, instead of having everyone who wants to work on your project and you picking the winner.
When you think about it for a minute, the CrowdSpring approach is better, but it’s also much more expensive.
The way oDesk and other freelancing websites like it work is
- Post your job with a light brief – don’t need to be too detailed here
- People (both independent contractors and companies) will both apply for the opportunity to work on your project
- You can interview these people as ask for such thing as their portfolio
- You’ll have to hire one person and give them all the instructions for your project. Sending them your full brief should do the trick here
- Work with revisions to get your final version
- Give feedback on their work
If you would like some advice on oDesk, please feel free to ask. I’ve used this for a few years now and over that time, I’ve learned some good techniques to use.
My Favorite Logo Designs – Get Some Inspiration In Ya!
All this talk about logo design has made me want to check some of the elite logos out there on the Internet. I’m off to go do that now, so the next post to follow will have my favorite logo designs for Ecommerce websites.
I’ll add as many BigCommerce ones as possible so that you can get a good idea on how a beautiful logo can make your website stand out.